SubjectRe: Strange kbd problems with 2.3.17 on toshiba satellite 4030cdt
On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 03:46:03PM +0100, lk@mailandnews.com wrote:
> "Sean Hunter" <sean@uncarved.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I've had this problem since late 2.1 kernels with my toshiba
> > tecra. Redhat 5.1 5.2 and 6.0. Since alt+sysRq doesn't work I can't
> > see how this can be any other than a kernel bug.
> >
> > When I boot into this keyboardless state, the machine is still alive,
> > and I can use it via the network as normal. Its just the console that
> > is fried. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether fbcon or the
> > normal console is used.
>
> Someone has pointed out to me that the problem is caused by gpm. If you
> don't start gpm, or if you log in over the network and kill gpm, then
> the keyboard will work again. You can even restart gpm and it will work.
> Curious...

I've just tried this, and you're right of course. So, does someone
want to explain to me why the kernel allows gpm to lock up my
keyboard? (to the extent where alt+sysrq fails)

Sean

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.044 / U:0.224 seconds]