SubjectRe: sockets stuck in CLOSE state 2.2.12

Is there any further information I can gather on the machine apart from
the netstat -not? I'm now up to 1210 sockets stuck in CLOSE, I haven't
rebooted yet as there was some long downloads in progress, or has anyone
any diagnostic patch, as I'm sure this will happen again ...