    SubjectRe: USB device allocation
    > > Why is that? You get the same layout with a dynamic-filesystem; the
    > > difference is that with dynamic devices it becomes FAR easier to support
    > > plug'n'play devices.
    >
    > And next to impossible to handle per-device persistent data (permissions
    > come to mind).

    This idea came across my yesterday. How about a file (text or binary) that
    lays in /dev (the /dev on the / partition, not a mount) or in /etc that's
    opened up my mount or something and sends that fd to the kernel. Kernel
    reads this file and uses it to keep permissions (mini filesystem w/o a data
    area I would assume)

    How hard is this to implement? I believe other programs do this as well
    (smbmount comes to mind)