SubjectRe: Microsoft Web Site
Derek J. Balling wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp
>
> OK, so Microsoft has thrown down the gauntlet. Some of the things they say
> are completely untrue ("Security on linux is all-or-none", apparently they
> never heard of "sudo" before), but some of the issues they bring up are valid.
>
> Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in the matter should prepare a detailed
> response?

> -

Linux Community,

MIcrosoft is very careful about what they say publically, and you can be assured
that everything there is verifiable and has analyst reports to back it up.
Microsoft doesn't do anything piece-meal. They have targeted Linux as a
potentially lethal threat, and when they come, they will come in force.

I deal with core MS folks all the time, and be assured that Linux has gotten
their attention. They are taking it very seriously. The fact that they have
gone to such lengths to attempt to discredit Linux is some serious praise from
them, it it should be taken that way.

What they say about NT being superior in many areas is correct, but consider that
most ISPs and Internet accounts are run on Linux/Solaris and not NT. Despite
what they say in these areas, Linux has the lion's share of internet accounts,
even over NT. MS knows this and they are hoping that Windows 2000 will woo the
ISPs to MS.

Linux has a definite edge, and that edge is the flexibility of the Linux
Community to rapidly deploy new capabilities. The development cycles for Linux
are very short, and we, the "mongolian horde" out here on the net are very hard
for them to compete against. They are correct in what they say about Linux being
a little behind on Intel's latest and greatest hardware -- Intel is very careful
about letting Linux get ahead of MS, Novell, and the other players. Despite
Intel's professed support for Linux, in fact they are being very careful with the
Linux Community and apparently hedging their bets....

Food for thought.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:1.012 / U:0.124 seconds]