SubjectRe: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation
Date
Johannes Erdfelt <jerdfelt@sventech.com> wrote:

> Microsoft doesn't use device nodes, but they solve the naming issue with
> GUID, Globally Unique Identifiers. This is something that has been
> brought up before.

Was a decision re: GUIDs make WRT Linux? Seems (at least on the surface) to
be an interesting idea. The major obstacle I see here is ensuring a GUID is
truly globally unique. Given the fact that many USB peripherals don't
follow the spec to the letter and therefore don't include serial numbers in
their identifiers, this may not be possible. I wonder how Windows deals
with this.

> Also, Windows doesn't differentiate between different Mice for instance,
> they all move the one cursor on the screen.

FWIW, this is standard Macintosh behaviour (at least on the ADB it was; I
don't know how USB-based mice on the Mac behave) as well.

--Michael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.127 / U:0.520 seconds]