SubjectRe: Process stuck in D state.
On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:

>> Using the 2.2.11 kernel, I have a slew of Midnight commander
>> processes stuck in the "D" dead state. They will NOT leave my
>> process table period.
>Were they uninterruptible _before_ you starting trying to kill them? My
>guess is that they were. 'ps l <pid>' would have been handy to see..

No. They were not in "D" state prior to me killing them.
SIGTERM did NOTHING to them, so I SIGKILL'd them, and they went
to D state and stayed. I viewed the process tree and killed the
parent processes until I regained control of the Virtual console
only after killing the login process itself, and watching init
respawn and wait for 5 minutes, then did some CTRL key wickedness
and fixed the login. After that, I saw the dead mc process was
inherited by init and was "D". Several processes piled up like
this, and some "bash" zombies ended up lying around too.

Eventually, I rebooted, and when the system came up, MC worked
excellent once again, and nothing was wrong since. Very strange.

Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate
Capslock Consulting Open Source advocate

[insert witty random tagline or cool URL here]