    SubjectRe: Process stuck in D state.
    On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:

    >> Using the 2.2.11 kernel, I have a slew of Midnight commander
    >> processes stuck in the "D" dead state. They will NOT leave my
    >> process table period.
    >
    >Were they uninterruptible _before_ you starting trying to kill them? My
    >guess is that they were. 'ps l <pid>' would have been handy to see..

    No. They were not in "D" state prior to me killing them.
    SIGTERM did NOTHING to them, so I SIGKILL'd them, and they went
    to D state and stayed. I viewed the process tree and killed the
    parent processes until I regained control of the Virtual console
    only after killing the login process itself, and watching init
    respawn and wait for 5 minutes, then did some CTRL key wickedness
    and fixed the login. After that, I saw the dead mc process was
    inherited by init and was "D". Several processes piled up like
    this, and some "bash" zombies ended up lying around too.

    Eventually, I rebooted, and when the system came up, MC worked
    excellent once again, and nothing was wrong since. Very strange.

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    [insert witty random tagline or cool URL here]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.026 / U:58.888 seconds]