SubjectRe: Process stuck in D state.
On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:

>> Using the 2.2.11 kernel, I have a slew of Midnight commander
>> processes stuck in the "D" dead state. They will NOT leave my
>> process table period.
>
>Were they uninterruptible _before_ you starting trying to kill them? My
>guess is that they were. 'ps l <pid>' would have been handy to see..

No. They were not in "D" state prior to me killing them.
SIGTERM did NOTHING to them, so I SIGKILL'd them, and they went
to D state and stayed. I viewed the process tree and killed the
parent processes until I regained control of the Virtual console
only after killing the login process itself, and watching init
respawn and wait for 5 minutes, then did some CTRL key wickedness
and fixed the login. After that, I saw the dead mc process was
inherited by init and was "D". Several processes piled up like
this, and some "bash" zombies ended up lying around too.

Eventually, I rebooted, and when the system came up, MC worked
excellent once again, and nothing was wrong since. Very strange.

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

[insert witty random tagline or cool URL here]