    SubjectRe: predictable IP ID
       Date:   Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:11:33 +0100 (BST)
    From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>

    > It stands to argue that the same can be done for vm_area_structs's, so
    > why don't we punt those from the mm subsystem?

    1. Its a local not a remote attack
    2. The folks trying to make Linux totally bulletproof to local attack
    are accounting vm_area_structs

    What if attacked server is running a web server and is known to be
    mmap'ing static content... think about this very carefully, it is
    identical to your initial interpretation of my argument with the added
    element of being a remote attack. Many people do this and don't
    consider is remotely exploitable in any way, right?

    In fact this was the very case I was thinking about. :-)

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.019 / U:93.008 seconds]