    SubjectProcess stuck in D state.
    Using the 2.2.11 kernel, I have a slew of Midnight commander
    processes stuck in the "D" dead state. They will NOT leave my
    process table period.

    I had an SMB share mounted over the internet via PPP. That is a
    remote share mounted locally on my machine.

    I was using mc to copy files from the remote system to the local
    system. The remote system went down. I quit mc.

    Now every time I start up Midnight commander, it sits there in
    lala land FOREVER. My guess is that it "remembers" the last dir
    it was in, which is now completely nonexistant, but WAS a remote
    networked drive. It tries to CD to that nonexistant dir, and
    sits there indefinitely with a black screen. Granted this is
    likely a bug in Midnight commander - however...

    I then "kill <PID OF MC>" and nothing happens. I then
    "kill -9 <PID OF MC>" and nothing happens. I look at the process
    table, and now mc is in "D" state. If I try to start up any
    further mc processes, they all do the same. The prompt does NOT
    return back to me after killing the mc process. I did a
    "killall -9 mc" and all of the running mc's did the same. I now
    have 7 mc processes in the "D" state. The only way to get
    control of the VC that each was running on, was to "killall -9"
    the primary "login" for each VC, and then log in again. When I
    killed the login program however, I could no longer log in
    because it printed ^M on the screen instead of actually
    interpreting the carriage return. I found that if I pressed
    "CONTROL-D" when the password prompt appeared, that it reset the
    thing to the correct behaviour.

    Since this problem is severe IMHO, and for all intents, locks up
    the console that it occurs on, and since the processes will NOT
    leave the process table, I believe it to be a kernel bug.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Deleting mc's config files does not change it from occuring now
    either. I even uninstalled mc, deleted ALL mc files remaining,
    config files, etc. and reinstalled. I still have the same

    I rebooted, and now everything works fine again. Anyone know
    what could cause this, and/or how to fix it?

    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate
    Capslock Consulting Open Source advocate

    [insert witty random tagline or cool URL here]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.034 / U:2.072 seconds]