    SubjectRE: access beyond end of device errors in 2.2.13pre18 AND 2.2.5
    Date
    > Please try 2.2.13 first of all. Given the number of fixed
    > bugs between 2.2.5
    > and 2.2.13 tha would be useful

    fwiw, i had the exact same errors last week with 2.2.13pre12 in my /usr
    partition. loads of 'bit already cleared' messages on unmount.

    also had a spate of these errors with 2.2.11, i was losing a couple of files
    per day.

    Most common errors was the bit not cleared error. Which would cause fsck to
    want to delete the file, usually copying solved it, but not always. Other
    symptoms were files had the contents of other files when opened.

    I have logs at home for 2.2.13pre12. complaints came mainlt from
    ext2_free_block and ext2_free_(something-else). (although i never attempted
    to delete the files concerned)

    > Try 2.2.13 first. Im not willing to guess if this is H/W or
    > software. It could
    > be software.

    i figured it had to be hardware, but considering loads of other people are
    seeing same thing....???

    Hardware:

    AMD K6-233
    TMC Via MVP3 board
    Buslogic Multimaster.
    Seagate Cheetah, IBM DDRS, IBM DGHS.
    Errors occured on the DGHS, other drives are scratch space.

    Machine patched with latest RAID and knfsd 1.4. NFS server to a couple of
    other machines, 1 of which mounts /usr.

    I'm wondering whether the other people seeing this message use the RAID or
    NFS patches?

    regards.

    Paul Jakma.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.023 / U:29.612 seconds]