SubjectRe: Speeding up swap
Hi,

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 09:01:34 +0200, Kristian Koehntopp
<kris@koehntopp.de> said:

> I am looking for a mechanism that enables a user process to advise
> the kernel on a per-fd basis not to keep more than say two pages of
> a certain file any buffer cache based on the promise that the user
> process will read that file only in a sequentially-forward or even
> non-seeking manner. I exspect performance improvements from such a
> mechanism because I observed that unrelated user processes get paged
> out when a very large file is passed thru a streaming application.

The "posix_fadvise" function from a recent posix realtime standard
discussion doc is probably what you'd want.

http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/standards/22.posix.html

has information on it. It's still not in the kernel...

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:1.707 / U:1.696 seconds]