SubjectRe: /proc/pci unknown devices
Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Dan Hollis wrote:
> > For those running embedded pci systems the extra 35kb of wasted text
> > strings is not really nice. Especially if you are going to have to ROM the
> > image. For some users this could make the difference between kernel too
> > large for lilo, and one that works.
> Keeping the names in the kernel eliminates the need for pciutils in many
> embedded systems, making it the better choice!
> > I thought we were trying to avoid M$-thinking, or is redmond starting to
> > influence developers, "16kb here, 32kb there, it won't matter".
> 32k of __initdata, _before_ it is compressed, is not a bad deal.

Personally, I like /proc/pci. I have lots of machines on nfsroot and cat
/proc/pci has always given me what I want. lspci? didn't work, Oops,
forgot to copy it. I'll probably never update it if I did. the kernel? On
floppy and updated every now and then.

Anyway, noone has seemed to say 'Make it a config option'...