    SubjectRe: /proc/pci unknown devices
    Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Dan Hollis wrote:
    > > For those running embedded pci systems the extra 35kb of wasted text
    > > strings is not really nice. Especially if you are going to have to ROM the
    > > image. For some users this could make the difference between kernel too
    > > large for lilo, and one that works.
    > Keeping the names in the kernel eliminates the need for pciutils in many
    > embedded systems, making it the better choice!
    > > I thought we were trying to avoid M$-thinking, or is redmond starting to
    > > influence developers, "16kb here, 32kb there, it won't matter".
    > 32k of __initdata, _before_ it is compressed, is not a bad deal.

    Personally, I like /proc/pci. I have lots of machines on nfsroot and cat
    /proc/pci has always given me what I want. lspci? didn't work, Oops,
    forgot to copy it. I'll probably never update it if I did. the kernel? On
    floppy and updated every now and then.

    Anyway, noone has seemed to say 'Make it a config option'...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.045 / U:14.112 seconds]