    SubjectRE: Speeding up swap

    > I am looking for a mechanism that enables a user process to
    > advise the kernel on a per-fd basis not to keep more than say
    > two pages of a certain file any buffer cache based on the
    > promise that the user process will read that file only in a
    > sequentially-forward or even non-seeking manner. I exspect
    > performance improvements from such a mechanism because I
    > observed that unrelated user processes get paged out when a very
    > large file is passed thru a streaming application.

    If you allow it to be used by non-privileged processes, you create the
    potential for an untrusted process to cause ridiculous amounts of physical
    I/O. Although one could argue that an untrusted process can currently cause
    as much damage by repeatedly reading sequentially through a file much larger
    than physical memory.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:89.772 seconds]