    SubjectRe: architecture bootup changes..

    Linus> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Paul Mackerras wrote:
    >> There's a problem that doesn't show up on intel, and that is that
    >> flush_page_to_ram() is called with inconsistent arguments.
    >> Sometimes it's a struct page * (mm/filemap.c and mm/memory.c), in
    >> other cases it's a kernel virtual address (e.g. kernel/ptrace.c,
    >> include/linux/highmem.h).
    >>
    >> I'm inclined to think it should be a kernel virtual address.
    >> Comments?

    Linus> Ho humm.. I would almost prefer the "struct page" because in
    Linus> theory you might want to do it without mapping the page at
    Linus> all. But this is definitely a case where most of the time it's
    Linus> only needed with virtual caches, so at the same time a virtual
    Linus> address is not necessarily wrong either.

    Linus> So my preference would be a "struct page", but if you have a
    Linus> stronger opinion you can override me with a little
    Linus> argumentation for show, ok?

    The one case I can think of is for device drivers that don't get the
    page struct but just a virtual address. But I guess this is already
    covered by the dma_wback_cache_*() and using flush_page_to_ram() in a
    driver is considered a bug.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.022 / U:31.240 seconds]