SubjectRe: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4661
On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:

> From: Ragnar Hojland Espinosa <ragnar@lightside.dhis.org>
> Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 15:36:30 +0200
> Subject: 2.3.23: freezes and beeps
>
> UP, gcc 2.7.2.3, under no particular high load, once with a ppp connection
> going on, other when compiling, the computer froze and started to make a
> continuous beeeeep.

I had pretty much these exact symptoms on a system with an Asus mainboard.
The problem was caused by the CPU getting too hot, invoking the thermal
protection on the mainboard which reduces the clock speed to the CPU. Linux
didn't like that and responded exactly as above.

The fix was to place a small amount of silicone heat-sink compound between
the CPU and CPU fan improving thermal conductivity to the fan thus preventing
overheading. Since having done that, I've never had the system do this again,
even with loads that max the CPU out for hours at a time.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.057 / U:0.312 seconds]