    SubjectRe: PATCH ACPI iomap fix
    On Fri, Oct 22, 1999, Jeff Garzik <> wrote:
    > Andy Henroid wrote:
    > >
    > > --- Jeff Garzik <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Attached is a patch against 2.3.23 pre5 which fixes
    > > > ACPI with regards to iomapping. The warning
    > > > messages added in pre5 brought to light this
    > > > bug. This patch works on my K6 w/ ACPI.
    > >
    > > OK, so I see your fix with some changes from
    > > Linus in pre6. It's still wrong for all those
    > > FACP accesses so I'll send out a fix for that.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the portability catch. Also, the
    > > inline assembly is a pretty glaring problem.
    > > Guess that should go in a header, but which?
    > I think the big question is whether or not ACPI will exist on Alpha, or
    > other non-x86 platforms. Since Athlon and AXP will be sharing
    > motherboard technology it would not surprise me.
    > If that is the case, all the direct mem references would need to
    > eventually be purged from the driver. If the inline assembler is
    > required, it should probably ifdef'd CONFIG_X86 in a header somewhere if
    > nothing else.
    > As an aside, USB is _already_ on AXP, so inline assembler and other
    > x86-isms in the USB code needs to be examined and compartmentalized, or
    > purged...

    The code is a minimum and puring it may be difficult. I think we need to
    try to minimize it as much as possible.

    The reason the UHCI driver uses inline assembly is because UHCI uses a
    concurrent DMA engine and could be in a r/m/w cycle when we change some
    pointers. Our changes them become overwritten by the old value which is

    I think that the code can be minimized to one place and reuse that. I
    wish I had better understanding of alpha and powerpc assembly. I guess
    this is the time to learn :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:2.808 seconds]