    SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Colour blindness & the Linux Kernel Version History
    Hi Alan.

    >> Funny, I heard the opposite. - remembering back to when the
    >> BBC Micro was released in the UK.

    > Remember also that every single computer using a TV by design
    > and thus with stronger visual constraints used black writing on
    > pale background.

    Are you sure of that, Alan?

    I know that I have in my collection of old computer equipment a BBC
    Model B, a Sinclair ZX81 and an Acorn Electron, all of which I only
    ever used with TV's as displays. The ZX81 lost its keyboard some time
    back, but I could still start it up and check this, and certainly I
    can check both the BBC and the Electron.

    However, going from memory, the BBC by default starts up in what it
    calls "MODE 7", better known as teletext mode, and in that mode, the
    base setup is a black background with grey text (that much is part of
    the teletext standard). It also retains this colour scheme when one
    switches to the various other display modes, so immediately after
    switching, one has white text on a black background.

    The Electron doesn't have teletext mode available, but is otherwise
    effectively just a BBC with some of the ports missing. As a result, it
    uses exactly the same default colour schemes.

    Best wishes from Riley.

    PS: The kernel versions page is now back online at the URL below, and
    includes separate sublists both for each kernel series, and for
    each year of development.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:56.216 seconds]