SubjectRe: PATCH 2.3.23 pre 2 compile fixes

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, David S. Miller wrote:
>
> > Let me give you two situations to show you why this is true:
> > situation 1) You fix a bug today, you send Linus just that small
> > change to one specific driver, to fix that bug.
>
> That's almost never the case.

BINGO! And that's what we're complaining about.

> For drivers that support many cards I usually have ten different
> modifications outstanding, each one to attempt to fix a specific reported
> problem.

Again, THIS is the problem. They shouldn't be outstanding. They should be
out there, in the standard kernel. If they work, they work. If they don't,
we find out. And if they don't work, then others can at least help. Right
now, if they don't work, people usually don't even know, because the
people for whom the old driver is fine will never even bother to try your
internal test-of-the-day-driver.

Resulting in that when you _do_ think it's fine, it isn't. And at that
point it's too dang hard to tell exactly what it was that broke.

The problem may be that you want to maintain a heck of a lot of drivers,
and maybe you should try to delegate a bit, so that you can give the
drivers you _really_ want to work on the priority they deserve.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.221 / U:0.468 seconds]