    SubjectRe: ISSUE: (ext2fs?) disk I/O and responsivness
    Let me chime in and say "me too".  I have a system that responds precisely like
    this. Actually, it's not "a large file", it is "a large amount of writes".

    You can see this by untarring linux kernel source with -v. it _creeps_ by. If
    done immediately after boot, it's quite fast, then it slows to an intolerable crawl
    and there is -no- indication as to _why_ it's slow. At first I thought it might be
    because I compiled it SMP, nope, that isn't a fix. Next I swapped from adaptec
    2940 to a symbios card. Nope, that didn't have any affect either.

    Here's a kicker. IDE is still fast. I can zip through an IDE disk like no
    tomorrow. Even when the scsi drive is slogging, the IDE drive is a wee bit faster
    (but terribly slow due to the entire system being killed). Even gpm movements are
    jerky and that's scary. X...forget about it. Takes 90 seconds to move 1/2 across
    the screen, it's easier to close your eyes and calculate the correct mouse motion
    to get where you want to go.

    And no. Absolutely no load shows on the machine, no kernel messages, no NOTHING
    which gives the slightest clue what's wrong.

    -d

    --
    This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
    Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.024 / U:0.032 seconds]