    SubjectRe: ISSUE: (ext2fs?) disk I/O and responsivness
    On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, David Ford wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:00:43 -0700
    > From: David Ford <david@kalifornia.com>
    > To: Mattias Sandgren <mattias@leif.silicon.nu>
    > Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, Ronald Wahl <rwahl@gmx.net>
    > Subject: Re: ISSUE: (ext2fs?) disk I/O and responsivness
    >
    > Let me chime in and say "me too". I have a system that responds precisely like
    > this. Actually, it's not "a large file", it is "a large amount of writes".
    >
    > You can see this by untarring linux kernel source with -v. it _creeps_ by. If
    > done immediately after boot, it's quite fast, then it slows to an intolerable crawl
    > and there is -no- indication as to _why_ it's slow. At first I thought it might be
    > because I compiled it SMP, nope, that isn't a fix. Next I swapped from adaptec
    > 2940 to a symbios card. Nope, that didn't have any affect either.
    >
    > Here's a kicker. IDE is still fast. I can zip through an IDE disk like no
    > tomorrow. Even when the scsi drive is slogging, the IDE drive is a wee bit faster
    > (but terribly slow due to the entire system being killed). Even gpm movements are
    > jerky and that's scary. X...forget about it. Takes 90 seconds to move 1/2 across
    > the screen, it's easier to close your eyes and calculate the correct mouse motion
    > to get where you want to go.
    >
    > And no. Absolutely no load shows on the machine, no kernel messages, no NOTHING
    > which gives the slightest clue what's wrong.
    >
    > -d
    [...]
    Well, I have recently changed machine at work from Compaq DeskPro 5100 to
    Compaq DeskPro EN 6450 and OS from RedHat Linux 4.2 to RedHat Linux 6.0;
    Both systems are IDE, but with PD-CD connected to BusLogic SCSI;
    While my previous system behaved normal when writing to PD, the new one
    was completely unusable during write (I was not even able to switch
    between screens on X);
    Then I went to BIOS settings and changed PCI Busmastering enable
    option from default NO to YES (and also disabled serial 2, so I had a
    separate IRQ for SCSI card); After this change the system work quite well
    during transfers to PD.

    I am not sure how much relevant it is to your problems, but as symptoms
    were similar, I thought I would post this.

    Best regards,

    Wojtek

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.028 / U:0.536 seconds]