    SubjectRe: Why is traffic shapper still in 2.3.x?
    On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > From my point of view the real criteria for removing the shaper device is
    > > a good document explaining how to set up the CBQ stuff to provide an
    > > equivalent setup. Once there is a good guide to transferring from one to the
    > > other then it is reasonable to drop shaper
    > I just started working on a Advanced-networking howto, which will
    > hopefully explain the new advanced networking completely enough. (Now that
    > I've spent countless hours reading the blasted code, fooling with it, and
    > using it in a production enviroment)..
    > The bigest problem I'm having:
    > I can't seem to manage to explain the new stuff (CBQ, 'fancy' routing,
    > qdiscs, etc) without throwing out the Unix compatible stuff (ifconfig, the
    > illusion of addresses bound to interfaces, etc) and just using the
    > iproute2 tools.
    > Are we going to depricate ifconfig? Once the new stuff is a bit more
    > polished will it be the official Linux userspace network config util set?

    I vote for ifconfig to be obsoleted by iproute. My next KSI Linux
    distribution won't use ifconfig at all. I have not made a decision yet
    whether to retain the ifconfig binary for compatibility reasons or remove
    any trace of it outta the distribution, but chances are that it will be
    removed at all...

    Sergey Kubushin aka the Tamer < > The impossible we do immediately.
    e-mail: SK320-RIPE < > Miracles require 24-hour notice.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:29.268 seconds]