    SubjectRe: Why is traffic shapper still in 2.3.x?
    On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
    >
    > > From my point of view the real criteria for removing the shaper device is
    > > a good document explaining how to set up the CBQ stuff to provide an
    > > equivalent setup. Once there is a good guide to transferring from one to the
    > > other then it is reasonable to drop shaper
    >
    > I just started working on a Advanced-networking howto, which will
    > hopefully explain the new advanced networking completely enough. (Now that
    > I've spent countless hours reading the blasted code, fooling with it, and
    > using it in a production enviroment)..
    >
    > The bigest problem I'm having:
    >
    > I can't seem to manage to explain the new stuff (CBQ, 'fancy' routing,
    > qdiscs, etc) without throwing out the Unix compatible stuff (ifconfig, the
    > illusion of addresses bound to interfaces, etc) and just using the
    > iproute2 tools.
    >

    > Are we going to depricate ifconfig? Once the new stuff is a bit more
    > polished will it be the official Linux userspace network config util set?

    I vote for ifconfig to be obsoleted by iproute. My next KSI Linux
    distribution won't use ifconfig at all. I have not made a decision yet
    whether to retain the ifconfig binary for compatibility reasons or remove
    any trace of it outta the distribution, but chances are that it will be
    removed at all...