    SubjectRe: Updated i386 bootcode rewrite patch...

    On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, David Dyck wrote:

    > > [referring to new boot code in 2.3.21]
    > > Right, because is the absolute minimum; anything below that is
    > > *KNOWN TO MISCOMPILE* this code.
    > So you are saying, before this patch was the minimum, but
    > now that THIS code is added that is the minimum.

    I recommend 2.9.5.x.x

    > Was there anything wrong with except for the boot code?

    Try running the gas testsuite through the old assembler ;-)

    The major changes in the x86 assembler over the last year or so are:

    o Greatly improved syntax checking to help catch hand-assembly errors
    o New .intel_syntax mode
    o Fixed badly broken 16-bit mode assembly - .code16 and .code16gcc
    o Recognise new instructions - AMD, PIII, MMX, XMM etc.
    o Assembly bugs fixed in a number of infrequently used instructions:
    o fwait form of floating point insn with another prefix.
    o "mov %al,(,1)", and other unusual index/base combinations
    o probably others, I forget.
    o Don't emit prefixes when they will be ignored.
    o Always use smallest form of index/base alternatives.

    > > I wouldn't be surprised if other asms
    > > around the kernel were compiled wrong (or at least sub-optimally) with
    > > older binutils.
    > Could you explain what you mean here a bit more please?

    I assume Chris means my last two points above. As far as I know, didn't completely mis-assemble anything used by the kernel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:11.392 seconds]