    SubjectRe: Kernel OSS vs ALSA
    > Free OSS is out there and supported, so it's momentum will continue to
    > carry it.

    The new cards are using the API but not the code from OSS.

    > I've heard rumblings that ALSA is a kitchen sink approach like GGI,

    ALSA is a bit unstructured. The API is well designed, the code has issues
    and its still evolving. I hope it turns out well.

    > which has turned off some people. There've been a few private
    > discussions about writing a nice, clean, small (!) sound API based on
    > the capabilities of current cards.

    I'm against changing the API for this. Fix the API by adding positional audio
    and to reflect 32+ DSP devices. The existing API is basically sound (pardon
    the pun)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.028 / U:385.732 seconds]