    SubjectRe: [patch] dynamic char and block devices
    Oliver Xymoron wrote:
    > I realized when I'd finished this that resource trees were an even better
    > way to go. It allows us to say things like major x minors a-b use these
    > fileops while major x minors c-d use these other fileops. It also allows
    > register_device to be _much_ smarter about how it allocates things - you
    > can say "please give me a whole major", "please give me 8 minors", any
    > granularity you'd like. The divide between majors and minors becomes a
    > continuum. Think of it as CIDR for device space.

    Very nifty idea. See why I like the new resource code? :)

    Anyway, something like this seems to imply that you would have to change
    the prototype of register_chrdev and register_blkdev. Is this correct?

    Custom driver development | Never worry about theory as long
    Open source programming | as the machinery does what it's
    | supposed to do. -- R. A. Heinlein

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.039 / U:1.472 seconds]