SubjectRe: FlashPoint card hanging system (BT-950)
William Lash spake, saying:
> > Jim Niemira wrote:
[snip]
> > > BusLogic: IRQ Channel 0 illegal for FlashPoint Host Adapter
> > > at PCI Bus 0 Device 10 I/O Addres 0xE800
[snip]
> > I was told
> > by mylex tech support that the Bt-930 was incompatible with the VIA chipset
> ,
> > but I could try downgrading the bios to 1.41i. I did this and the card woul
> > work only on a cold power on. The interesting thing is that the problem
> > didn't happen with my earlier processor on the same m/b - a K6 233.
>
> On Mylex's support database, they mention that there is a problem with some
> VIA chipset motherboards with the RAID Plus BIOS. I don't think that using
> the RAID Plus BIOS does anything for you under Linux.

That's what the dox for the driver say, so that checks out.

> Here are a couple of
> reports from the their tech support database that may apply:
>
> KT-950R won't come up in PA-2013 motherboard (REF#980811-0001)
[snip]
> SOLUTION:
>
> The VIA chipsets, such as the MVP3, apparently only allocate a 32K
> space for adapter bios, and the RAIDPlus bios version is a 64K image.
> You can download the non-RAIDPlus bios version 1.41I from the
> Support/Download web page, but this bios does not support the RAID
> functions, and will resize the flash chip to 32K. You will not be able
> to reflash the bios to the RAIDPlus version until the flash chip has
> been reset.

Hm, my bios has always been 1.41i, and it's a 950R ... I tried flashing
with 2.02L, and it didn't work; apparently I have to "reset the flash
chip", whatever that means ... <looks thru dox>

This card cost me about $80; maybe I'll just get a different one.
Any suggestions?

> It sounds like I was lucky that my problems were solved by adding some
> delays to the driver.

You lobster! ;-)

jim

--
Urmane Hendrake "Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but
urmane@urmane.org anti-fat-bastard cream there is not."