Subject[: pppd 2.3.10 + linux 2.3.18ac10 bug?]
Hi, hope I don't get a kick int he butt for this but I mailed
linux-ppp a week ago witht his and didn't get a reply so I
figure noone there has an answer to this and I might wanna try
linux-kernel (since it may consern it also). :) (Hi Paul too ;)

Anyhow, it just happened again (which is why I was reminded... luckily
my ISP doesn't disconnect me often, plenty of dailins, but this'd
REALLY bite if I was away from my box :/)

----- Forwarded message from CaT <cat@zip.com.au> -----

I've noticed something recently with pppd. When it gets disconnected, the
modem registers and ther lights say 'i'm hung up' but ppd just hangs in
there, doing nothing. seemngly indefinately. I have to ^C it so that it
dies and a new one is started up. This isn't the best situation in the
world when the system is left alone and i'm elsewhere. :)

As such, is this a bug in pppd/kernel driver or have I missed a config
option. pppd used to work fine with 2.2.x (I think I used upto 2.3.8 or
9 before swapping to 2.3.18).

Here's the config that I wrote:

# general modem setup options
/dev/modem # the device we wish to talk to
lock # ensure that only WE have access to the device
115200 # the speed we wish to talk to the modem at
modem # use modem control lines
crtscts # use hardware handshaking

# ip setup
noipdefault # require the local ip address to be supplied by peer
defaultroute # set up a default route on connection

# chat script to use
# -v for verbose output, -r to specifry there to send the reports to and -f for the script.
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -r /var/log/ppp -f /etc/ppp/chat/zip"

# ppp setup
bsdcomp 15,15 # turn on BSD compression and set it on max.
nodetach # don't detach from the terminal
kdebug 0 # turn off kernel debugging messages
asyncmap 00000000 # A0000 # make sure that ^Q abd ^S come through unharmed
name cat # What name are we logging in under?

bsd compression is inactive (modules aren't loaded) and the ppp driver
is compiled into the kernel as well as deflate compression.

If you need mroe info, just holler. There's nothing in the logfiles about
this.

Oh. Also, I almost forgot. Why do I get this?

Oct 6 22:00:50 sputnik pppd[85]: tcflush failed: Input/output error

--
CaT (cat@zip.com.au) URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

'He had position, but I was determined to score.'
-- Worf, DS9, Season 5: 'Let He Who Is Without Sin...'