    Subjectscsi disk detection and /dev names, RE: My $.02 on the raging de vfs debate
    Date
    >     Ok.  I like being able to address SCSI devices by their
    > target ID's too.
    > However wouldn't it be simplier to just modify the SCSI
    > drive,tape,CDROM,etc
    > drivers to have their devices hardcoded to /dev/scsi/c0t0d0 and so on?

    this for me is the 'killer' feature of devfs. eg a disk in a server died on
    me the other day. so i used the 'echo "scsi add/remove ..." > /proc...'
    feature to hot swap it.

    without devfs above would have resulted in the disk getting a different name
    after rebooting, not nice. with devfs.. no problem. The reason being that
    linux keeps track of disks in order of detection, so with a static
    preallocated /dev all you can say for sure is that 8:0 will be the first
    detected disk, 8:1 the second.. etc. However the scsi disk layer does know
    at detection time which host/bus/id/lun the newly detected disk is on, so
    with devfs can register a descriptive name for it.

    So devfs is a quick workaround of this limitation rather than being a real
    cure (for this particular prob). If anyone with the coding skills is
    listening, it'd be great if static /dev could support location based disk
    names too.

    -paul jakma.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:267.940 seconds]