    SubjectRe: scsi disk detection and /dev names, RE: My $.02 on the raging de vfs debate
    On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

    > In message <7ttjbt$rrq$>, H. Peter Anvin writes:
    > +-----
    > | too complex, noone will use them. Solaris has a very complete
    > | location-based device naming scheme, but I know very few Solaris
    > | administrators who use those names, as opposed to the short
    > | symlinks.
    > +--->8
    > I know quite a few Solaris admins who do use them. It seems in my
    > experience to correlate more with whether those admins came from a BSD /
    > SunOS environment or a System V environment.

    If you had read and followed the rest of his comment you would have
    seen he was referring to the /devices tree as being not used often, while
    admins tended to use the /dev tree (populated with symlinks). I have never
    seen a Solaris system that had the /devices tree name in it's /etc/vfstab.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.018 / U:3.940 seconds]