SubjectRe: scsi disk detection and /dev names, RE: My $.02 on the raging de vfs debate
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> In message <7ttjbt$rrq$1@palladium.transmeta.com>, H. Peter Anvin writes:
> +-----
> | too complex, noone will use them. Solaris has a very complete
> | location-based device naming scheme, but I know very few Solaris
> | administrators who use those names, as opposed to the short
> | symlinks.
> +--->8
>
> I know quite a few Solaris admins who do use them. It seems in my
> experience to correlate more with whether those admins came from a BSD /
> SunOS environment or a System V environment.

If you had read and followed the rest of his comment you would have
seen he was referring to the /devices tree as being not used often, while
admins tended to use the /dev tree (populated with symlinks). I have never
seen a Solaris system that had the /devices tree name in it's /etc/vfstab.

Stephen