    SubjectRe: locking question: do_mmap(), do_munmap()
    Alexander Viro wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > >
    > > [Cc'd to mingo]
    > >
    > > On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Manfred Spraul wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've started adding "assert_down()" and "assert_kernellocked()" macros,
    > > > and now I don't see the login prompt any more...
    > > >
    > > > eg. sys_mprotect calls merge_segments without lock_kernel().
    > >
    > > Manfred, Andrea - please stop it. Yes, it does and yes, it should.

    Yes, it should cause oops?

    > > Plonking the big lock around every access to VM is _not_ a solution

    I never did that, I'll never do that, I only notice that the current
    code is filled with races.

    > >. If
    > > swapper doesn't use mmap_sem - _swapper_ should be fixed. How the hell
    > > does lock_kernel() have smaller deadlock potential than
    > > down(&mm->mmap_sem)?

    lock_kernel() is dropped on thread switch, the semaphore is not dropped.

    > OK, folks. Code in swapper (unuse_process(), right?) is called only from
    > sys_swapoff(). It's a syscall. Andrea, could you show a scenario for
    > deadlock here? OK, some process (but not the process doing swapoff()) may
    > have the map locked So? it is not going to release the thing - we are
    > seriously screwed anyway (read: we already are in deadlock). We don't hold
    > the semaphore ourselves.

    AFAIK the problem is OOM:
    * a process accesses a not-present, ie page fault:
    handle_mm_fault(): this process own mm->mmap_sem.
    -> (eg.) do_wp_page().
    -> get_free_page().
    now get_free_page() notices that there is no free memory.
    --> wakeup kswapd.

    * the swapper runs, and it tries to swap out data from that process.
    mm->mmap_sem is already acquired --> lock-up.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:11.116 seconds]