SubjectRe: Setting the date and time
In message <199910100514.WAA14361@icarus.com>, Stephen Williams writes:
+-----
| mhw@wittsend.com said:
| > Xntpd keeps the system in sync by adjusting the clock and maintaining
| > information on it's rate of drift. This may not be so good if you are
| > on a dialup system, however.
|
| xntp includes ntpdate, which is similar to date but uses xntp servers.
| When I was dialup, I used ntpdate to resync my clock with a cron job
| and I got a good compromise of accurate time (including rate) and low
| re-dial rates. Twice a day may well be enough to keep pretty good time.
+--->8

For some PCs that isn't good enough.

BTW, xntpd works fine on a dialup. It complains mildly when the link goes
down, but keeps adjusting the clock according to the recent drift rate until
the link comes back, at which time it resynchs and goes on.

--
brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.087 / U:0.276 seconds]