SubjectRe: IDE + SMP Lockup (no OOPS) in 2.2.12, 2.2.10

Yes there are two styles of the controllers.

Are we up to flag settings based on the hwif->chipset ident?

if (hwif->chipset != ide_pci)
do_an_irq_thingy...........

Since some device that are PCI cards but have this flag used for other
identification..........OOPS.......

if (hwif->pci_dev)
do_an_irq_thingy...........

This may be a better option............ponder...........

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Well serial is a medium that is almost guaranteed to lose data once in
> > > a while ;-)
> >
> > Ok. Tell me: Why is the PCI serial chip with 128 byte buffer
> > experiencing overruns, while the chip soldered to my motherboard
> > (probably in one of those SMC multi-io chips (*)) with only 16 byte
> > buffer is NOT dropping characters?
>
> Because the IDE layer disables the shared IRQ in question for periods of
> time of you dont have hdparm -u set, and for some periods of time anyway.
>
> Basically its the IDE code being obnoxious. Fixing the IDE locking would
> improve this, but would be a real pain because older IDE controllers you
> want to disable_irq and stuff to avoid nasty performance problems.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.130 / U:0.780 seconds]