SubjectRe: System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.
Date
Followup to:  <199901071048.LAA28116@mehl.gfz-potsdam.de>
By author: Steffen Grunewald <steffen@gfz-potsdam.de>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Robert Kiesling wrote:
> |>

> |> Your zImage *is* too big. Continue to use bzImage instead of zImage as
> |> the error message suggests. Software grows in size. Boot code is
> |> contrained to a given size. If X exceeeds Y, then use a better
> |> compression for X.
> |>
> |> It seems like an artificial constraint, but I haven't had time to look
> |> into it. Maybe there's a good reason for it. Maybe fixing it is just
> |> a project for a rainy afternoon or something. Thanks!
>
> As I understand it, the size limitation for zImage (to something about
> 640 KB - y"know that number ?) it primarily caused by the boot BIOS
> running in 16 bit mode.
> If it takes one rainy afternoon to fix that, step forward.
> BTW: Not all people use LILO, neither loadlin.
> Of course, a multi-step boot (like SILO does) would be helpful, but
> then it's something like LILO again...

You need support in the boot loader. Period. The "fix" is bzImage.

-hpa
--
PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key