    SubjectRe: mirroring inconsistency
    In <> Riley Williams ( wrote:
    > Hi Matt.

    >> matti> bunzip2 < your.interesting.tar.bz2 | tar tvv

    >> rhw> I can't try that at the moment,

    >> BEFORE you make wild statements like the following, PLEASE try it
    >> for yourself, before you decide to post your "authoritative"
    >> reponse to this mailing list.

    > I most certainly DID try doing "man tar" and found the very fact I
    > pointed out clearly stated therein. I've just done so again, and I
    > quote from the tar manpage:

    Q>> :
    Q>> -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F
    Q>> use archive file or device F (default /dev/rmt0)

    > Perhaps you can advise whether that comment is in YOUR tar manpage as
    > well?

    Axiom known to EVERY Linux user (hmmm... may be not every after all? hmmm...)
    is that man pages for gnu tools are VERY inaccurate. Use info instead.

    >> Why is it that the majority of your emails to this list start with
    >> "I can't try this at the moment" or "I'm not expert on this" or
    >> similar, and you usually end up being wrong?

    > Two points:

    > 1. I very rarely say either, and I believe this is only the fifth
    > time in two years that I've done so. I've posted far more than
    > five emails in that time...

    Oh yes. Far more. Most are pointless or just plain wrong.

    > 2. The evidence indicates that I'm NOT wrong on this occasion as
    > the tar manpage appears to state exactly what I said it does.

    Yet again: man pages ARE NOT reliable source of information about gnu tools.
    So your letter is not wrong this time. Just pointless :-)) As usual...

    This is from info file :

    -- cut --
    By default, `tar' uses an archive file name that was compiled when
    it was built on the system; usually this name refers to some physical
    tape drive on the machine. However, the person who installed `tar' on
    the system may not set the default to a meaningful value as far as most
    users are concerned. As a result, you will usually want to tell `tar'
    where to find (or create) the archive. The `--file=ARCHIVE-NAME' (`-f
    ARCHIVE-NAME') option allows you to either specify or name a file to
    use as the archive instead of the default archive file location.
    If you use `-' as an ARCHIVE-NAME, `tar' reads the archive from
    standard input (when listing or extracting files), or writes it to
    standard output (when creating an archive). If you use `-' as an
    ARCHIVE-NAME when modifying an archive, `tar' reads the original
    archive from its standard input and writes the entire new archive to
    its standard output.
    -- cut --
    and this is from `tar --help` output:
    -- cut --
    ARCHIVE may be FILE, HOST:FILE or USER@HOST:FILE; and FILE may be a file
    or a device. *This* `tar' defaults to `-f- -b20'.
    -- cut --

    Default name for file is compile-time options and most distributions have it
    set as "-" (standard input/output)...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.022 / U:8.824 seconds]