    SubjectRe: dcache problems with vfat writes:
    > (Something else is that the present vfat revalidate() seems to
    > cause lots of unnecessary lookups, but of course efficiency
    > is a secondary concern. I would like to hear from Gordon why
    > things are as they are at present.)

    You run into inconsistency problems with vfat aliases. You could
    be accessing a path two ways:

    this/is/a long directory path/file

    The problem is that a move of "a long directory path" to some other name
    didn't remove the dcache entry for "alongd~1". Any time one of a file's
    parents gets renamed, it needs to be revalidated. I might be overly
    cautious and at some point I should probably think through this whole
    thing again. When I was deep into the problem, it seemed to be the
    right thing to do. Now, my thinking is more fuzzy.

    - Gordon

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:2.632 seconds]