SubjectRe: dcache problems with vfat writes:
> (Something else is that the present vfat revalidate() seems to
> cause lots of unnecessary lookups, but of course efficiency
> is a secondary concern. I would like to hear from Gordon why
> things are as they are at present.)

You run into inconsistency problems with vfat aliases. You could
be accessing a path two ways:

this/is/a long directory path/file

The problem is that a move of "a long directory path" to some other name
didn't remove the dcache entry for "alongd~1". Any time one of a file's
parents gets renamed, it needs to be revalidated. I might be overly
cautious and at some point I should probably think through this whole
thing again. When I was deep into the problem, it seemed to be the
right thing to do. Now, my thinking is more fuzzy.

- Gordon