    SubjectRe: Working towards 2.2.0: Cosmetics..
    Mike wrote:
    > > adb.c:15: asm/prom.h: No such file or directory
    > > adb.c:16: asm/adb.h: No such file or directory
    > > adb.c:17: asm/cuda.h: No such file or directory
    > > adb.c:18: asm/pmu.h: No such file or directory
    > > adb.c:20: asm/hydra.h: No such file or directory
    >
    > These includes exist if you are on a power-pc which is the only time you
    > might want to be compiling adb.c anyway as far as I can see.
    > They do appear when you do a make dep though, and I don't know how you'd
    > go about getting rid of them.

    If they were _really_ ppc-specific you could just explicitly include
    "asm-ppc/prom.h" (etc) and fix the warnings. Unforunately, asm/adb.h
    also exists for m68k, although I don't think the adb.c in the tree is
    prepared for the m68k-based macs right now. Maybe we just need to put
    those includes inside '#ifdef CONFIG_PPC' or something. It would be
    redundant from the compilers point of view (since it will never look
    at the file) but it should make 'make depend' happier.

    > > 8390.c: In function `ei_close':
    > > 8390.c:177: warning: unused variable `ei_local'
    > > 8390.c: In function `set_multicast_list':
    > > 8390.c:978: warning: unused variable `ei_local'
    >
    > These are because spin_lock_irqsave and spin_lock_irqrestore often
    > ignore their first arguemnt. I say often, because it depends on
    > architecture, whether the kernel is SMP or not, and how much debuging code
    > is enabled. I can't see any easy way to remover these warnings (and they
    > are completely harmless...).

    Probably the best way to quiet those up would be to just cast the
    unused variable in the macro to void. For example:
    /* 'a' is not actually used in the following macro */
    #define foo(a,b) \
    do { \
    (void) (a); \
    b++; \
    } while(0)

    This will shut gcc up.

    -Mitch

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.033 / U:2.320 seconds]