    SubjectRe: GPF + Oops in 2.2.0-pre4
    The really frustrating part of all this is that the BIOS makers and
    motherboard manufacturers seem to be non-responsive on this issue. My
    attempts to email the responsible organizations have elicited either no
    response, or unhelpful responses. The prevailing attitude seems to be,
    "It works for Windows, so we don't care."

    On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Your BIOS is what is wrong. Apparently the BIOS protected mode interface
    > is really a "Windows interface" and doesn't follow the rules: when Linux
    > calls into it with a different segment setup than Windows does, the BIOS
    > gets confused and does something illegal.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.018 / U:37.848 seconds]