    SubjectRe: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

    On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

    > > That's like separating the S3 X server into ten different X servers
    > > depending on which clock chip is on the board. That would just be silly
    > > and stupid, wouldn't it? But it's really almost exactly the same issue:
    > > the fact that the kernel handles mode switching could just be considered
    > > "a software clock chip" kind of thing. No?
    >
    > Right! Finally we're getting at the same wavelength :-)

    Good.

    > But for the 3.x line, XFree86 has many different accelerated X servers, each
    > with their own screen init functions. The current accelerated XF68_FBDev is
    > experimental, and we did it the way we did because that was the only way it
    > made sense to us (at that time, 4.x is not finished).

    Now this is an argument I can _completely_ buy into.

    Considering XF86_FBdev to be a "interim" thing I can fully understand.
    What I do NOT understand is the mentality that some people seem to have
    that "it is a bug to try to use anything _but_ XF86_FBdev with CONFIG_FB".

    For X servers where the mode switching works even together with CONFIG_FB
    (and yes, there are tons of people that seem to use CONFIG_FB together
    with some accelerated servers already), I would think we _want_ to use
    those accelerated X servers - possibly with a caveat that they aren't
    guaranteed to work. But the mentality that "if you have CONFIG_FB you have
    to use XF86_FBdev" must go, imho. Jes, do you understand?

    I already applied a documentation patch by Jes from to 2.2.0pre4 saying
    that CONFIG_FB is not necessarily a good idea if you can avoid it. But
    Jes, if you continue to say that if you run CONFIG_FB you _cannot_ run any
    other X server, then I will just change the config option to something
    like CONFIG_SCREEN_SLOW_X and change the documentation to match to make
    _sure_ nobody ever does it even by mistake.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.027 / U:0.760 seconds]