    SubjectRe: Arp expire/timeout 2.1.132/2.2pre1
       Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:37:26 +0100
    From: Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de>

    Still there is the issue that user level protocols can't signal
    forward process to the kernel. How about adding a socket option
    that does it for connected sockets to plug this hole?

    This is not the answer, and I'll never accept such a patch.

    If the machine is not responding to ARP, it isn't doing ARP and there
    is nothing we can do about it. Allowing notification of forward
    progress at the user level is at best a band-aid.

    People can add hard coded ARP entries to their tftp servers for
    machines which will use tftp to boot. And such people have such a
    list anyways if they care one iota about using tftp securely, right?

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.020 / U:62.240 seconds]