SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
In message <19990103205053.A4065@tiktok.cygnus.com>, Michael Meissner writes:
+-----
| On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 06:34:27PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
| > (config.guess rant: *why* the exact processor ID? About half of configure
| > scripts fall over in ECE Linux builds because they don't expect "i686".
| > This should be "x86". And if it has to be exact, where are AMD and Cyrix?)
|
| If you configure it for i686-unknown-linux-gnu, then the default compiler will
| compile code that is tuned for an i686 (ie, Pentium-Pro, Pentium-II), but still
| only use instructions common to all members of the x86 family. Similarly if
+--->8

I'm not talking about the kernel or about gcc. I'm talking about random
packages that *won't configure on Pentium II boxes* because config.guess
coughs up "i686-...", config.sub sees it and aborts --- its patterns look
for "i[345]86-" (and occasionally "i[34]86-", in older packages). I now
keep around a replacement config.guess and config.sub for these packages.

Some of the packages which do this are fairly recent, too.

This is an autoconf issue; if you insist on tracking exact processor
versions, get rid of the charclass in config.sub or make it accept any digit
> 2. Otherwise the world breaks yet again when someone decides to detect
the next IA32 increment as an "i786", just as large parts of the world break
now on "i686".

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.129 / U:0.076 seconds]