    SubjectRe: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?
    Date
    Lars G. T. Joergensen enscribed thusly:
    :
    : - Snip
    :
    > Nice project :)

    > Make a website that looks like the Linux config. When done push the src
    > into a tar-ball that can be downloaded. There are only a limited amount of
    > combinations in the config.. so.. it's a finit task.. anyone?

    Huh?

    Limited number of combinations? Well, yes. Techically that's true.
    Lets play a bit here...

    Number of lines in .config with configuration parameters in 2.2.1:

    1294

    Ok... Let's be really sloppy here as say that all of those options
    are only "binary". We'll ignore the trinaries and modules as well as the
    value parameters. That should just about offset some of the mutually
    exclusive options. It doesn't deal with rediculous configurations of
    20 ethernet cards or 4 different sound cards, but what the heck. Lets
    just shoot for something within 6 orders of magnitude. Hell, just for
    giggles, lets throw away three quarters of them on the principle that
    pruning and reduction will gain you a 4 to 1 improvement in the number
    of parameters.

    Binary gives us a theoretical possiblity of 2**323 combinations.

    Let's see now... What where those figures I remember about the "idea"
    encryption algorithm. With 128 bit keys, if all the silicon on earth was
    converted to special purpose processors for cracking idea using manufacturing
    techniques an order of magnitude better than anything theoretically possible
    at this time, and we were able to have those processors each check for a
    million keys per second, you could brute force (test by trying all possible
    combinations) an idea key in something close to 10 times the heat death of
    the universe. Ok... That's a finite amount of time. But that's only
    2**128. This is 2**323. Even if we said only one in a billion of those
    possible combinations made any sense at all, we are still talking about
    A REALLY BIG FINITE NUMBER.

    Yes, you are right... It is a limited amount of combination in
    the config. It is a finite task. It's not a finite task that I want to
    take on. Care to inumerate all the possiblities you envision?

    --
    Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
    (The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/