SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
   Date: 	Sat, 2 Jan 1999 03:33:00 -0500 (EST)
From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

The system exists because the Internet (not commonly available
before the early 1990's) allows collaborative development.
Linux might have died under the original licence, but BSD escaped
from AT&T with plenty of tools and most of a kernel. We'd be
using that now instead.

My system is i386-redhat-linux or just Linux. It is quite arrogant
for the FSF to call it otherwise. Not many people respect a person
who tries to claim credit for everything like you do.

Because of this, I refuse to ever mention any of the GNU and FSF
issues to anybody learning about the system. You don't even deserve
to be mentioned anymore. When I see i386-redhat-linux on all the
FSF stuff I compile, I will reconsider that decision. Until then,
I hope others will join me in ignoring you as punishment.

Albert,

I think many people will agree with you --- personally, I just
grabbed a recent config.guess from the FSF, found to my disgust that it
had been hacked to use RMS-approved Linux/GNU terminology, and did a
's/linux-gnu/linux/g' to the config.guess before putting it into my
e2fsprogs development tree.

BUT the linux-kernel mailing really isn't the place to flame
about patent issues, licensing issues, or about whether or not RMS is
trying to salvage his bruised ego because Linux has succeeded where the
Hurd has failed. Whether or not this is the case, this list isn't the
place for any of these topics.

So, can we _please_ drop this debate, and move it to somewhere
more appropriate, such as the bar during one of the upcoming Linux
conferences, or perhaps to alt.flame? Tnx.....

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.084 / U:0.316 seconds]