SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Gnumenclature was Re: IBM, was never Re: Linux Kernel
In message <199901030911.BAA21014@bitmover.com>, Larry McVoy writes:
+-----
| : On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Larry McVoy wrote:
| : > His point, I think, was that i386-redhat-linux is quite a bit more
| : > accurate and useful than i386-gnu-linux. Ditto for i386-suse-linux
| : > and i386-debian-linux.
| Greg Mildenhall <greg@networx.net.au>:
| : Is it? The same package ought to work on all of them, and if it doesn't,
| : you _should_ (you won't always) be able to tell from the .deb or .rpm
| : extension, not from the name of the package.
| : The main reason for this? They all use glibc2.
|
| It would appear to me that you haven't spent any time trying to deploy
| a package on the various Linux systems. Suse doesn't use glibc yet,
| but they are RPM based. Furthermore, their init layout is different
| than RedHat's layout (and that's just where the problems start).
+--->8

Yes, but those also happen to non-Linux systems, and I have to work with a
lot of those. So I deal with them using non-Linux-specific methods ---
thus, a distribution identifier does nothing useful.

*libc issues don't bother me at all for the same reason --- configure
already has ways of dealing with those issues, and they also work on DU and
Solaris and AIX and Ultrix.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu