    SubjectRe: I will _not_ start accepting patches!
    On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, David Weinehall wrote:
    > > On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > The main issue is, however: when will v2.3.x be opened up? Maybe
    > > we should have some kind of wild wish-list/death-list brainstorm
    > > here before v2.3.x opens up?
    > ^^^^
    > I don't think we should do that here. Linux-kernel already
    > has far too much traffic. I'd be happy to set up a mailing
    > list for that purpose, however.

    Ok, sounds reasonable.

    > If I get at least 5 people in favor of such a list, I'll
    > immediately create (or kernel-devel
    > or some other, better name).

    Here's the first vote in favour.

    > > I'd really like to know what you believe to be the main-issues that we
    > > need to deal with in v2.3, and what the schedule should be for it.
    > >
    > > Personally, I think that the development time for v2.3 must be
    > > significantly shorter than the one for v2.1, and more focused on a
    > > narrow set of important improvements, apart from obvious bugfixes
    > > and new drivers.
    > One of the ways in which the 2.3 cycle can be shorter is
    > by only integrating stuff that's already being worked on
    > and is ready by the time 2.3.0 is forked off. Then we
    > integrate all those things within 5 revisions and start
    > debugging. Maybe we even want to distribute all of those
    > things in one big patch _before_ 2.3.0 is forked off.

    Like devfs, reiserfs, lfa, ISDN, etc.?! Oh, and I hope NFS v3 will make it
    into v2.3... This kind of means that we leave all the size-expansion
    issues until v2.5?! That's ok for me, because I don't have a large machine
    with >1TB HD and >65536 users, but not everyone might be as happy... :)

    Oh, I'd really like pcmcia support to become a part of the main kernel
    too. But maybe that's not our decision, but one for the pcmcia-team to

    > Anyway, the last thing we should do is keeping Linus from
    > his far-more-important 2.2 work...

    _ _
    // David Weinehall <> /> Northern lights wander \\
    // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
    \> </ Full colour fire </

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.024 / U:3.748 seconds]