    SubjectRe: 2.2.0 SECURITY

    On 27-Jan-99 Raul Miller wrote:
    > Only if it's not a good idea to do debugging in a multi-user
    > environment.
    >
    > gdb makes it quite simple to call target program functions from inside a
    > debugging session. Imagine that someone works out how to insert a trojan
    > inside a core file (I dunno -- by mucking up a jump table or some such).
    >
    > Even worse if someone has a reason to be debugging as root...
    >
    > So, maybe it's a low risk, but it's not no risk.

    If you can open and write to the core as it is being written, you can also open
    and write to it after it has been written. There's no additional risk. You
    could also open and create a new core file with whatever contents you like
    without help from the kernel.

    By default cores are owned by the process's uid and have 0600 mode, so they are
    protected from other users.