    SubjectRe: Variability in cache access times
    Date
    In article <199901281631.QAA03159@dax.scot.redhat.com>,
    Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@redhat.com> wrote:

    >As far as the Intel CPU is concerned, it is not particularly hard. The
    >real problem as far as Linux itself is concerned is twofold: first, it
    >requires contiguous 4MB pages, and secondly Linux assumes a uniform,
    >fixed-depth page table hierarchy.

    Actually, the latter I already did at one point (it worked well - I made
    sure that the page mapping functions worked in kernel space too, even
    though all 1:1-mapped kernel pages used 4M addressing).

    I removed this simply because there wasn't enough use for it, and it
    complicated the code slightly (not much, but considering that nobody
    used it it wasn't worth maintaining).

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.031 / U:3.644 seconds]