    SubjectRe: Variability in cache access times
    In article <>,
    Stephen C. Tweedie <> wrote:
    >As far as the Intel CPU is concerned, it is not particularly hard. The
    >real problem as far as Linux itself is concerned is twofold: first, it
    >requires contiguous 4MB pages, and secondly Linux assumes a uniform,
    >fixed-depth page table hierarchy.

    Actually, the latter I already did at one point (it worked well - I made
    sure that the page mapping functions worked in kernel space too, even
    though all 1:1-mapped kernel pages used 4M addressing).

    I removed this simply because there wasn't enough use for it, and it
    complicated the code slightly (not much, but considering that nobody
    used it it wasn't worth maintaining).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.017 / U:3.624 seconds]