    SubjectRe: VM performance

    On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:37:56 +0200, Nimrod Zimerman
    <> said:

    > The fact that the kernel trims the cache doesn't mean swap isn't used
    > needlessly. The cache behavior is still much worse than it used to be
    > (though in 2.2.0, it has greatly improved pre9's behavior).

    Do you have performance timings to back this up? I'd like to see them.

    > It isn't fine, not at all. If you want, I can supply some vmstat reports to
    > show what I mean.

    Fine, but vmstat alone means nothing in this respect, because the VM can
    play a number of cunning tricks to keep the same swap page both on disk
    and in memory. A large swap usage in vmstat doesn't tell us anything
    about how fast things are moving. Wall clock time is the only reliable
    benchmark here.

    vmstat is _very_ useful at identifying why you see the observed
    performance, but I won't accept that just because vmstat doesn't say
    what it used to that the VM must be doing worse!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.019 / U:24.336 seconds]