SubjectRe: 2.2.0 SECURITY

On 27-Jan-99 David S. Miller wrote:
> What it should be doing is:
>
> 1) Exec'ing /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> 2) That reads in the ELF header of the core file
> 3) Next it mmap's all of the segments
> 4) Next it jumps into lala-land in on of the final mmaps
> is got, and dies with an illegal instruction on Sparc
>
> I think something hokey is happening at step #4 on Intel if the timing
> is right as the process is being killed...

Certainly the kernel code checks that the ELF file is either ET_EXEC or ET_DYN
(and not ET_CORE). If ld-linux.so is doing a user-space exec, then I guess it
might forget to check the ELF file type and just go and map the segments as it
finds them... but all that means is that you get a strangely shaped address
space. Which means that if people are having problems then it can be
reproduced in some other way.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.074 / U:0.156 seconds]