SubjectRe: Big Fix for 2.2.1

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Andy Poling wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Linux Lists wrote:
> > Please don't do that. The Cyclades driver supports both ISA and PCI cards,
> > and it follows correctly the current definition, by ioremap'ing addresses
> > above 1MB and using readX/writeX for _all_ accesses to MMIO resources (in
> > ISA or PCI). Doing this change would mean having to test which card I'm
> > accessing _every time_ I do a readX/writeX, which is completelly
> > unacceptable (for obvious performance reasons).
>
> Perhaps I'm naive, or missing something really obvious here, but...
>
> Shouldn't you already know which bus-type of card you're accessing long
> before you get to the performance-critical code in any driver?

The issue here is that I thought Linus mentioned a change in the ioremap
function, which would require ISA cards to be accessed by
read_ISA_X/write_ISA_X and others by readX/writeX. Since my driver uses
readX/writeX to access _both_ (PCI and ISA), that would mean having to add
the following for every call to this functions:

if (ISA)
read_ISA_X/write_ISA_X;
else
readX/writeX;

Interestingly enough, Linus _didn't_ mention anything about changing the
ioremap function (and I have no idea where I got this idea from). Thus, my
e-mail is completely unfounded and can be ignored.

Sorry for the unnecessary noise.

Regards and Apologies,
Ivan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.045 / U:0.272 seconds]