    SubjectRe: Linux-2.2.0 bad VM behaviour "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=256k"

    On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > My point is that I don't want more dirty buffers than the maximal number
    > of write request that can be in fly by ll_rw_block(). So it looked to me
    > that was the best thing to do... That way I am pretty sure that I'll be
    > able to alloc memory without any kind of harm. Otherwise I get a fixed
    > amount of buffers unfreeable because dirty, until the process that is
    > using the block device stops.

    So what makes block devices so special?

    _I_ think that block devices are the _last_ thing you should do this for.
    A normal user doesn't have access to a block device, so it cannot be
    exploited by normal users being nasty anyway.

    In short, this looks like special-casing a generic problem, and choosing
    the wrong special case at that.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:0.192 seconds]