    SubjectRe: MM deadlock [was: Re: arca-vm-8...]

    On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:59:00 +0100 (MET), Gerard Roudier
    <> said:

    > If you tell me that some system XXX is able to quickly free Mega-Bytes of
    > physical contiguous memory at any time when it is asked for such a
    > brain-deaded allocation, then for sure, I will never use system XXX,
    > because this magic behaviour seems not to be possible without some
    > paranoid VM policy that may affect badly performances for normal stuff.

    It is really not hard to reserve a certain amount of memory (up to some
    fraction, say 25% or 50% of physical memory) for use only by pagable
    allocations. Most desktop boxes will _not_ require more than 50% of
    memory for locked kernel pages. Recovering any given range of
    contiguous pages from that pagable region may be expensive but will
    _always_ be possible, and given that it will usually be a one-off
    expense during driver setup, there is no reason why we cannot support

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.018 / U:3.000 seconds]