SubjectIP Alias and smbmount in 2.2.0
Date
Well, I decided to take a risk on upgrading one of my production systems
(based on RedHat 5.2) to the 2.2.0 kernel. I compiled the new kernel and
upgraded any packages in the "Documentation/Changes" file that were
required. So far, it looks like there were two serious problems.

First, "make menuconfig" appears to be fairly messed up in the "Networking
Options" section. Many options that could normally be compiled as modules
can not now, and "IP: aliasing" is missing all together. It does show up in
"make xconfig", but there is still the problem with not being able to
compile most options with modules.

Next, there appears to be a problem with "smbmount". Attempts to mount a
sharename from a NT server produce the following kernel message:

SMBFS: need mount version 6

New versions of samba and smbfs (off of RedHat's rawhide site) don't help
this at all.

--dkm

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.034 / U:0.880 seconds]